Sunday, August 21, 2011

Fueling with Protein

Since reading the book Run Your Butt Off! (RYBO) I have been focusing on the amount of protein I eat each day.   A physically active person should have 1/2 gram of protein for every pound they weigh or want to weigh.  Once you start counting your protein this is going to seem like a high number but this is why you need it.

  • It makes you feel fuller longer because it takes longer to digest and therefore can keep you from feeling hungry.
  • It helps build muscle and we all know muscle is key to helping us stay strong and active. Plus muscle beefs up your metabolism.
  • Your body uses protein to build and repair tissues.
  • Keeps your immune system functioning properly to help you fight off illness and disease.

Based on my weight I should be getting 70 grams of protein a day.  I have found that without some planning, I am not meeting this goal.


My daily protein consumption used to be about 50 grams. Here's a sample day before and after I started paying attention to my protein intake:

Sample Day
BEFORE
Protein
(grams)
Sample Day
AFTER
Protein
(grams)
BREAKFAST

BREAKFAST

1 English Muffin
Thomas’s Health-full
6
 1 cup Chocolate Milk 
8
1 whole egg
6
1 English Muffin
Thomas’s Health-full
6
1/2 slice american cheese
2
 1 tbs Peanut butter
3.5
1 tsp jelly
0


SNACK

SNACK

12 cherries
2
1/2 cup Cabot vanilla greek yogurt
9


1/2 cup raspberries
0.5
LUNCH

LUNCH

1 oz colby-jack cheese
7
1 cup cherries
2
1 tbs black beans
1
1/2 cup brown rice
4
1  Don Pancho flour tortilla
2
1/4 cup pinto beans
2
salsa
0
1 oz cheese
7


SNACK



Cliff Bar
10
DINNER

DINNER

pizza pot pie - spinach & cheese
24
2 flour tortillas
4
1/2 cup Edy’s light vanilla ice cream
2
2 oz colby-jack cheese
14
TOTAL
52
TOTAL
70

To improve this number I had to find out how much protein was in foods I typically ate and find some new foods I could add to my menu.  I began by making a list and then choosing from it when planning my meals. Prior to this, I did not eat much dairy, now I eat yogurt daily and I don't feel guilty about drinking my chocolate milk after a workout.  This approach to eating has been a big shift for me and although I am conscious of calories, I am focusing on protein. 

Foods I eat / grams of protein
yogurt 1/2 cup
9
almonds 1/2 cup
10
Raisin Bran cereal 1 cup
5
1/2 cup 1% milk
4
1/2 cup cottage cheese
13
1 oz colby-jack cheese
7
1/2 cup pinto beans
6
1/2 cup brown rice
4
1 Health-ful English muffin
6
1 Tablespoon flax
2
Martin potato roll
4
3 oz grass fed beef
23
1 whole egg
6


It is recommended that you spread your protein intake throughout the day. Also be smart about what protein you eat. Look for low-fat dairy, whole grains, beans, nuts and lean meats (if that's your thing). You can get a lot of protein from a Big Mac, but your getting a lot of crap too. 


If you are looking for some ideas for protein rich foods, here is a list of some more choices.


My list is small, but these aren't the only things I eat.  I now reach for more protein dense snacks and have found that some of my running fuel fits the bill like Cliff Bars for one.  I didn't eat these very often, because I felt they were too high in calories, but now I am trying to work them in as a snack.  I haven't gained or lost any weight, or noticed a change in super power strength or energy, but I am going to stay on this path and see what happens.


Where do you get your protein?