Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Brookster by Baked Product Review



Brownie or Cookie?  
No need to choose when you can make a Brookster, sometimes known as a brookie:  A chocolate chip cookie baked inside a rich fudge brownie.  
Baked, a Brooklyn bakery and author of two cookbooks is now selling mixes for some of their most popular items. 


I saw this mix in Williams-Sonoma and being a fan of Baked, I had to give it a try.
Each box contains 2 cookie mix packets, 2 brownie mix packets and 2 chocolate chip packets.  All you need to add is butter and eggs.  One set of packets makes 9 brooksters, so each box will make 18. 

The directions are easy to follow and no cooking experience is required to prepare them.  They are baked in a muffin pan.  You line the pan with the brownie dough and then add the cookie on top. The only thing you need to know, is both the cookie and brownie doughs need to be refrigerated for a least an hour before they can be cooked.  So this is not something you can whip up and eat in a short amount of time.  Prep time is about 75 minutes including chilling time.

Despite the extra time it takes to make, these brooksters were delicious right out of the oven.  I topped mine with vanilla ice cream.  The brownie was chewy and the cookie crisp - Perfect!   These have equal amounts of brownie and cookie. I kept them in an airtight container on the counter for a few days and ate one the next day, although good, I preferred the fresh out of the oven one best. 

The mix sells for $16 and would make a great hostess gift. I am a fan of Baked and love their recipes.  If you cannot make a treat from scratch, they are a good alternative.

 I don't want you to read this and be frustrated that you can't make eat one right now because you don't have this mix.  So I will share the recipe I found to make a similar  homemade version of these cookie/brownies using a recipe from Bakerella HERE.  She calls them pillow cookies.   



This recipe has more cookie than brownie as the brownies are baked into the cookies. 
They were very good and very large! 

Which do you prefer, brownies or cookies?

(I bought this product with my own money and received no compensation for this review.  These opinions are mine alone.)

3 comments:

  1. looks tasty! ice cream is always the perfect addition to brownies or cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am completely obsessed with Baked. I have both of their cook books and everything I've made thus far has been a hit. The salted caramel brownies are just about the most delicious thing I've ever put in my mouth. Plus, one of them is an Alabama grad, so that's a bonus for me!

    The only bad thing is their books have made me kind of a brownie and cookie snob because once you've had a really good one, you'll never go back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salted caramel brownies are my favorite too. Now that you brought it up, I think I NEED to make those next.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?