Sunday, November 27, 2011

Turkey Day Run Recap


I was fortunate to spend Thanksgiving in Charleston, SC with my brother, sister and their families in a beach house on the Isle of Palms. There were twelve of us all together and we had a grand time!  

Oh how times have changed...growing up our Thanksgiving day included watching TV and eating, lots and lots of eating.  There were some years that I remember literally lying on the floor with my brother or sister moaning because we were so uncomfortable from all the food we ate.  We ate like it was our last meal ever.

As we have grown older and wiser we now include a holiday run/walk to our Thanksgiving day and it is becoming a new tradition for our family.  This year we participated in the Turkey Day Run in historic downtown Charleston. 

It is a scenic course that takes you through the city, down Meeting St. to the Battery (waterfront) and then back up King St. to Marion Square.  It is a large race with over 6,000 runners and a big after race party including a beer garden with free beer, kids races and a band.

In addition to all that, we got some good stuff in our race packet too.  I love the long sleeved T-shirt and its design.  The Eat. Think. Smile. bar was new to me and I got a mixed berry flavor.  It is a chewy granola bar with a chocolate base.  It was okay, but not a favorite.


Not only was it Thanksgiving it was also my niece Emily's eleventh birthday. Here we are before the race. We didn't plan to wear matching outfits. Great minds think alike! 

I started the race with my 19 and 15 year old nieces thinking we would run together.  That didn't last long.  These girls took off and started weaving through the crowds with ease.  I did not.  They are both great athletes and left me in their dust.  I finished with a time of 26:43.
My brother and I in the beer garden

The after party was fun. We ate some Krispy Kreme doughnuts and I couldn't pass up the free beer even if it was only 10:15 in the morning.  It's not every race you get this perk. 

Our day was off to a great start and just got better as we headed back to the beach for a day of food and fun together. 

Hope you all had a relaxing and enjoyable day with your families too!



4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like you all had a good time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a lot of fun! You and Emily looked great in your matching outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Running. Family. Beaches. Free beer. What a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?