Sunday, January 2, 2011

Final Week of Marathon Training

Holy cow - the race is one week away!!

I am not quite sure how I feel about that.  My life has centered around preparing for this race for the past 5 months.  It has been on my mind every day.  I have been very dedicated and stuck to my training plan.  I have one week left and it doesn't include very much running.  I will be running for 30 minutes 4 days next week and that is it!

That is such a weird feeling.  The reduction in mileage has taken a bit of my confidence away.  It is a challenge to trust the process and believe that I will still be able to run that many miles, when, on the day of the race, it will be 2 weeks since I have run over 10 miles.

I have mixed emotions about the approaching day.  I am ready for it to be here and run the race, or perhaps ready for it to be over.  I am also nervous about what it will feel like to actually run that distance and how my body will react. I am anxious about what it will be like after the race when I no longer have this goal to focus on.  I don't want to fall off this track of fitness either.  I have 3 weeks of post-race recovery training to follow, but after that I am on my own.

It looks like the temperature on race day will be perfect, morning temperature in the high 40s.   Last year I ran the 1/2 marathon and the weather was absolutely freezing. As long as it's not that cold I'll be happy.  I will be wearing lucky number #6760 on race day. Can't wait to see what wave I'll be in.  The first wave goes off at 5:35am and the last at 6:03am.  The sooner I start, the sooner I finish.

I will spend this week getting my head ready for the race, do my best to stick to a regular schedule of eating and sleeping and most importantly decide what I am going to wear.   Help me decide - Do you think I should wear a long sleeve or short sleeve shirt that day?

4 comments:

  1. I was just typing up my blog post that sounds SO similar to this one. I can't imagine my life right now NOT training for this marathon. It's pretty much consumed me (for the better, in my opinion!) and it's hard to wrap my mind around the fact that at this time next week it will all be over!

    I'm voting for a short sleeve shirt on race day. I think I'm wearing 3/4 length capris and either a short sleeve shirt or tank top. My friends suggest wearing arm sleeves made from old high socks. Then when it gets warm you can just toss them. I think I might do that. :)

    If I don't get a chance to 'talk' to you before the race, have a GREAT race! Can't wait to hear about everyone's recaps when we get home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are more than ready to run this! You will do awesome and come home to tell us all about it. Take it mile by mile and have so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just came across your blog - best of luck! I can't wait to see what wave I am in too. The anticipation is about to kill me!

    I'm thinking short sleeves with capris right now, but I tend to get cold easily, so I may bring a long sleeve tech shirt to tie around my race. Anyway, that's my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I have to say is ... EEEEK!!!!

    I know that's how I'll feel in about 6 weeks, and I feel that way just reading your post!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?