Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Apple Cake with Browned Butter Frosting


I totally forgot I had this recipe to share until I was looking through my pictures and remembered how fabulous this was!  On my October visit to Vermont, I brought back apples that I used to make this cake. With apples still available at the store, you can make this cake too. The browned butter frosting was the perfect topping.  I loved the caramel, nutty flavor of this frosting. 

Apple Cake  adapted from Southern Living
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 stick butter, melted
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 lb apples (about 4 large), peeled and cut into chunks

Toast pecans in shallow pan 5-7 minutes in 350 degree oven. Set aside.  
In large bowl, mix butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until blended.
In separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture, stirring until mixed.  Add apples and 1/2 cup pecans.  Batter will be thick.  
Spread batter into greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
While cake cooks prepare frosting.

Browned Butter Frosting
2 sticks butter
1 (16 oz) powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

In small sauce pan over medium heat, cook butter for 6-8 minutes, stirring constantly. When butter starts to turn golden brown, remove pan from heat and pour into a small bowl.  Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour or until cooled and beginning to solidify.
With an electric mixer, beat butter at medium speed until fluffy.  Add powdered sugar alternating with milk. Begin and end with powdered sugar.  Beat on low speed until blended.  Mix in vanilla.
Once cake is cool, cover with frosting and top with remaining 1/2 cup pecans.



2 comments:

  1. I have yet to try browning butter but I've heard how delicious it is and how deep a flavor it gives to everything. One of these days I'll definitely do it. But, for now, I'll just enjoy looking at your sweet cake with that delectable frosting on top. I have a linky party on my blog every week called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link this up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. The name alone makes me drool a little bit!!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?