Monday, November 8, 2010

Odds and Ends

Here are some odds and ends:

1.  I have been waiting for a back ordered item from Running Skirts and it came in time for the coldest temps we have had.  I was so excited to wear my  new capri skirt at this weekend's race.  Temps were in the upper 40s for the start of the race and I was glad to have my legs covered.  For those of us who are used to lows in the 60s, this IS chilly!
The race was a local 5K - Run Nona.  As you can see it was a beautiful day.   I had great race and ran my second best time of 26:33.  I wasn't sure I could run quickly since most of my training is at a much slower pace, so I was happy with my results. I needed to run 14 miles that day, so after the race I ran an additional 11 miles home. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.  I am a John Grisham fan and am listening to his new book The Confession.  That helped a lot!



2.  The Great Pacific Garbage Patch has been on my mind a lot lately.  Since it consists mostly of plastic, I have made an effort to reduce my plastic use and properly dispose of plastic.  I bring reusable cloth bags to the grocery store and use lunchskins to take my lunch to work. These are choices I have made to help make a difference.  This may be more of a commitment than everyone is ready for, but there is one small thing we can all do that will help.  Please cut the plastic rings that hold canned drinks together and the pull tab ring that they now use on milk cartons.
Just by cutting these rings, so there are no closed circles, you are saving sea animals from possible strangulation and injury.  It is a fast and easy thing we can all do.
Cut rings before disposing

3.  Although I don't sit a desk everyday for my job, there are days I am in the office just sitting and working on the computer.  After reading some articles about the benefit of sitting on an exercise ball versus an office chair, I decided to bring my exercise ball in to sit on at my desk.  I love it!  It is fine whether I wear skirts or pants.  In fact it now feels weird to sit in my chair.  If it is an option for you, I suggest you try it.

Using my exercise ball as a chair
Have a great week and don't forget to do something fun!

4 comments:

  1. love the capri skirt, i have been eyeing one myself.

    audiobooks are my secret weapon for marathon training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of listening to a book for a long run, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on running your second best time at a 5K... And then running 11 more miles! I'm exhausted thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip on cutting the rings. Something simple, yet I've never thought of it. I will start today.

    Great job on your race!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?