Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Homemade Chubby Hubby Ice Cream


On my recent trip to Vermont I indulged in Ben and Jerry's ice cream a couple of times.  Once on the factory tour and the other at a scoop shop.  One of my favorite flavors is Chubby Hubby and I have had my family on the lookout for it every time we go to a grocery store.  No one around here seems to carry it anymore and I was worried it may have gone to the flavor graveyard.  


It wasn't even available at the scoop shop, so you can understand my delight when I noticed a Chubby Hubby flavored Mash item on their menu. The Mash is very similar to a blizzard.  I ordered one and it was delicious.  My craving had been satisfied, temporarily....  So during my tour  of the factory I made a point of inquiring about its status.  It is still in circulation (Yippee!!) but, until I can get my grocer to get some, I have another solution.

I paid close attention as they made my Mash at the scoop shop and took note of what they added to create that flavor combination.  Chubby Hubby is vanilla malt ice cream with chocolate covered peanut butter filled pretzels with ribbons of peanut butter and fudge.  They used whoppers, reese's peanut butter cups and pretzels.  

On the plane ride back to Florida, I was thinking about making some of this ice cream at home.  I could use the same items they did, but I wanted more chocolate and more peanut butter without using candy.  I decided to create my own version and that's what I'm sharing with you. 



I decided to use Snyder's peanut butter pretzels and cover them in chocolate.  I love these pretzels and during the holidays they actually sell a chocolate covered version.  I have a peanut butter problem so I decided to mix in some regular peanut butter too.  I stuck with the whoppers for the malt flavor because I had some at home, but I could have used powdered malt.  I have whoppers at home from Halloween and put a few aside for me to use.


The first thing I had to do was melt the chocolate so I could cover the pretzels.  I used a double boiler to keep it warm enough to dip the entire bag of pretzels.  I like these chocolate covered pretzels all by themselves.

I covered a tray with wax paper and set the wet pretzels out to cool.  To speed things up, I put the tray in the freezer for about 10 minutes.

Once cool, they were very easy to remove.  

I put the chocolate covered pretzels and whoppers in the mini chopper and pulsed it a few times to give me a chunky mixture of the two.

I took two large spoons and mixed it in like I've seen them do at Cold Stone Creamery.  I let the ice cream sit out a little while to soften up to make the mixing easier.


There you go - it's just that easy.  This was one yummy treat!!

Homemade Chubby Hubby Ice Cream
6 malted milk balls
6 chocolate covered peanut butter filled pretzels
1 heaping tablespoon peanut butter
3 scoops vanilla ice cream

Serves 2

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Pretzels
1 bag (8oz) peanut butter pretzel sandwiches (I used Snyder's)
1 bag (12oz) semi-sweet chocolate baking chips (I used Ghirardelli)

Melt chocolate by placing chips in double boiler over simmering water.  Stir until melted.
Alternate method - place chips in microwave safe bowl and heat on 50% power for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes.  Stir.  Continue to heat for 15-30 second intervals, stirring in between, until smooth. 

Using tongs, dip pretzels in melted chocolate to coat.  Place on wax paper to cool.  Repeat with entire bag. Place in freezer for about 10 minutes to cool faster. 

Once pretzels have cooled, place malted milk balls and pretzels in food processor and pulse until broken into chunks.  Keep pulsing until no whole pieces remain.  I like mine on the chunkier side. This makes 1/2 cup of mix-ins.  
Add to bowl with ice cream, and peanut butter.  Mix together and enjoy. 

2 comments:

  1. OMG! Totally not what I want to see right now:) I have to stop eating the Halloween candy:) This homemade icecream looks amazing! I will have to give this a try after I drop about 5 lbs! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give the tree a gentle shake to dislodge any leaves that aren't glued. Being large hit is proven to the carburetor in the entire world. Anthocyanosides play also an interesting and essential role in promoting collagen synthesis.

    Have a look at my website volcano vaporizer
    my website > volcano vaporizer

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?