Sunday, June 27, 2010

Cherry Salsa


I love cherries and look forward to cherry season! So it was no surprise when I couldn't resist buying a large tub of cherries at the Farmer's Market yesterday. With the help of my cherry pitter they are easier than ever to eat.  My family loves fresh fruit, but don't want to work too hard for it.  I have found, that if I prepare it, they will eat it.   I bought a  cherry pitter a few years ago, after my sister sang the praises of hers. The ease of this tool has made eating and baking with cherries so much easier. It shoots the pit right out leaving the cherry whole.  The newer models have a splatter guard, which is a great addition because  pitting cherries can be a juicy task.

With plenty of cherries on hand I decided to use them to make salsa.  I typically don't like fruit with spicy flavors, but I really enjoyed a blueberry salsa I made last summer  so I thought cherries would work nicely too.  Cherry Salsa may sound weird, but the flavors work.  It is a great twist on traditional salsa with the goodness of fresh seasonal fruit. Quite a refreshing taste!



Cherry Salsa

3/4 cup fresh cherries, chopped
2/3 cup chopped nectarines
1 green onion, chopped
1 small jalapeno, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp cider vinegar
1 tbs cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Combine cherries, nectarines, onion, jalapeno and garlic.  In separate bowl, stir together lime juice, vinegar, cilantro, salt and pepper.  Add to cherry mixture, stir to coat.
Let stand in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes for flavors to blend. 
Serve with tortilla chips. 



1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelley- Saw this on PW blog and ran out to buy all the stuff today for it! I am going to try it on some pan fried tilapia. Thanks for sharing-Christine

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?