Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Banana Cake




Andy is always requesting a sweet treat at the end of the day, and lately we have been rotating the same old favorites, so I looked back through my stash of ideas and rediscovered and old favorite - banana cake.
   
Short on time, I baked it as a sheet cake this time.   It was easy because making it didn't require a trip to the grocery store. 


Correctly predicting the number of bananas my family will eat each week is a lesson in futility.  The week I buy only a few, they gobble them up right away.  Next week I buy more, because obviously a few is not enough.  That's the week they hardly  eat any.  This ongoing game leaves me with a freezer well stocked with bananas.  As soon as the bananas are on their way out, I put them in the freezer.  When in need of bananas for a recipe, I set them out on the counter to thaw and within minutes they are ready to use.  Of course they don't look very tasty, but are great for cooking. 

 We make so many sweet treats at our house that we often don't eat all of what we make, before we are on to the next one....but not with this one, we ate every single piece! We did add a topping to our last few pieces to make them extra special - peanut butter sauce.  I know I should be able to make this myself, but I haven't found the perfect recipe yet.  The peanut butter sauce we used came from Friendly's.  It is oh so good, but heed my warning - it is addictive and tastes good on everything!
We all know peanut butter and bananas play nicely together so it was a perfect match.
As you can see we like this sauce a lot!

I would like to make my own peanut butter sauce so if you could help me out I'd love to hear from you.

Banana Cake Recipe
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
3-4 mashed, ripened bananas
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla

Cream together butter & sugar.  Add eggs and bananas.  Mix.  Add dry ingredients and gradually add buttermilk.  Add vanilla.  Mix until combined.

Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes for 9 x 13 sheet cake
Top with cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 lb. confectioner's sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Beat cream cheese and butter.  Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.  Add vanilla and beat until mixed.





No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?