Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Basil Salt



All summer long I have had fresh basil to eat thanks to the hearty basil plant on my back patio.  It has garnished pizzas and pasta, contributed to many batches of pesto and partnered with fresh tomato and mozzarella to make a flavorful summer.


To keep that basil flavor going long all winter long I mixed up a batch of basil flavored salt.  It was quick and easy using only two ingredients - salt and basil.

 Using my Cuisinart mini prep food processor, I  added 1/2 cup kosher salt and 1/2 cup packed basil leaves and pulsed until crushed.

Then spread the mixture on a baking sheet and baked it at 225 degrees until dry, about 30 minutes, tossing halfway through.


 Let it cool and then pulse again to make a fine powder.  


I stored my salt in a recycled herb jar  to keep it fresh and handy.


So far I have used it on fresh tomatoes, avocados and in tomato pie.  It has just the right blend of salt and basil and has turned me onto flavored salts.




Basil Salt
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup packed basil leaves

Pulse basil and salt in a food processor then spread on a baking sheet. Bake at 225 degrees until dry, about 30 minutes. Stir salt about halfway through.
Let salt cool and pulse again to make a fine powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?