Saturday, September 10, 2011

Autumn Rock n Run Race Recap

Today was my first race since July 4!  It seems like ages ago and it has been a long HOT summer.  I cannot  wait for the morning I walk outside and the air actually feels cool.  I will sing Alleluia out loud!

Due to the heat I have not been running any longer or faster than I have to, so I did not have high expectations for a great time today. But that didn't matter I was excited to be around other runners and push myself a little harder than I would  running on my own.
waiting for the race to start

Andy and I decided just last week that we would run this race.  It is put on by our local running store Track Shack, but one we had never done before.  When we heard there would be three rock bands along the course and we would be voting for our favorite at the end, it made it even more enticing. I did not get a photo of the two bands along the course because I didn't want to stop running to take them.  All the bands were good and I voted for the first band as my favorite.  They were singing classic rock songs.
Band at the beginning of race
The race started at 7:30 and I so appreciate that they actually started on time.  Andy wanted to PR this race, but I wasn't feeling it.  I was going to do the best I could.  We lined up in the 8 min mile pace group for the start.  As usual there were walkers and slow runners we had to get by in the beginning.  I just don't get those people!!

The first mile felt good and we ran it at an 8:30 pace.  Into the second mile, I knew I wouldn't be speeding up any more, so Andy took off to make his PR.  I finished mile two in 8:30 as well.
Heading into mile three I began to feel fatigued.  I have not been doing any speed work and this is where I regretted it.  I so wanted to walk, but decided to slow down a little instead.  I couldn't belief how worn out I felt.  I told myself I could rest when it was over and trudged through to the end. I ran mile three just a little slower at 8:39.  I ended up finishing with a time of 26:31 (official time). Of course I was glad I didn't stop.
I was a hot, sweaty mess at the end.
After the race they had fresh fruit (grapes & bananas), smoothies and rice crispy treats.  Some of the booths were giving away good stuff. I picked up a work out towel and this cool H2O to go bottle.  
Some race goodies

After race band
Andy did end up with a PR and it ended up to be a good race for me too.  I was satisfied with my time.  If I'm not willing to train the way I need to get better, I really can't complain. My next race, a 9K is in two weeks.  I'm crossing my fingers for cooler mornings.  I'm convinced that's all I need to feel a little peppier.

Here's the breakdown of my run.

Avg Pace

Is it starting to cool off where you live?
What's your favorite temperature to run in?