Saturday, September 25, 2010

MiracleMiles 15K Race Recap



MiracleMiles is held locally in downtown Orlando.  This is the first time I have participated in this race, but I liked it so much I will do it again!   It became a family event as my daughter Cate and husband signed up for the 5K race.  Due to traffic we made it to the race just in time.  The weather was iffy with rain threatening, but we there was only a slight drizzle during the run.  My sunglasses stayed on my head the entire way.

I signed up for this race to help me in my training so I planned to do it as a training run, not a racing run...that was harder than I thought it would be.  I wore my heart rate monitor and tried to keep my rate in check, I was close to my target  (75%) for the first 3 miles, getting farther away the second 3 miles and totally ignored it for the last third of the race (96%).  I couldn't go that slowly in race conditions.  I did end up running the entire race and finished with a time of 1:35:18  for an average pace of 10:13.  So not too fast overall. The course wove through the side streets of Orlando with plenty to see including accordion players who were playing It's a Small World.  (Talk about a song that gets stuck in your head.)


In addition to doing this race for the training opportunity, I was lured by the promise of Chick-fil-A food at the end.  Well they were there with cows a plenty, but many local restaurants were there too with free food for all!!  


My tasting started with mushroom ravioli.  This was excellent and my favorite of the day.

Next was a chinese salad.  I thought the presentation was so cute.  A mini take out box and chopsticks.  This was good-it was made with asian noodles and a ginger dressing.  

A booth with mini cheesecakes was next.  Not really ready for dessert, but I had to taste it.  The crust and whipped cream were the best.  Not good enough to waste the calories, so I only took a bite.

Asian lettuce wraps looked and smelled so good, but were not similar to the ones I am used to.

Hot crab dip with chips was tasty.

Prime rib slider with horseradish sauce was killer!  I great ending or at least I thought so until I saw....

the granola parfait from Chick-fil-A.  This was so good, I would have never thought I would like it, because I am not a big fan of yogurt.  I don't know how healthy it is, but I would get this again.

As you can image I was pretty stuffed at this point.  I don't usually have this much to eat after running.  It was a feast.  In addition to all these delectables, our race bib was a coupon for a free Chick-fil-A sandwich. (I am saving that for another time)  Needless to say I left feeling both tired and full!
We had a fantastic morning!  

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on a great 15K race Kelley! I love the skirt that you are wearing:) OMG, that mini cheesecake looks fabulous! Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! What great race food! Great run too, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's like the best post race food ever! i may need to venture up to orlando for this next year

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog so I am giving you the Love Your Blog Award! Please visit my blog to accept the award!

    Great job on your race! You are totally ready for the Wine and Dine! I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a fellow runner/triathlete in Orlando. I was at this race also. I finished just before you. Hope you had fun.

    Kevin
    http://halftriing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may see you at the Disney Wine and Dine. My wife and I are doing that race.

    Kevin
    http://halftriing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow! You scored with the food there, didn't you!
    Looks like a fun race. I'd LOVE to have heard the accordion players!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?