Monday, November 26, 2012

Turkey Day Run with the Family


For the second year is a row my family spent Thanksgiving in the Charleston, SC area which included running the Thanksgiving Day 5K again as well!  We loved the race last year and this one was just as fun.

My brother and his family, my sister, my children and me

Held in downtown, historic Charleston, this race has a scenic course and a great after party at Marion Square which includes fresh Krispy Kreme doughnuts, a beer garden, live music, Mr. Pig from Piggly Wiggly and  Mr. Turkey.  We enjoyed all of these amenities!

 Mr. Turkey
Every year the race gets larger - 6,000 runners for this one.  Even though it is a run for everyone, they do have timing chips and prizes for the fastest.  The majority of the field is casual runners with dogs and strollers - very family oriented.

The results are posted right away and they give you cool information like this:


We had walkers, some, more serious runners and a few run/walkers in our group.  It is so much fun, that no one wanted to miss it even if running isn't their thing. My daughter Cate even ran a PR!  I ran/walked this one with my other two children.


Me and my children 
The race starts and ends at Marion Square and takes you down to The Battery (waterfront).  It was a cold sunny morning, but we warmed up once we got moving.
The Battery

We saw these two in full costume including platform boots- Who knew they were runners? 


The only time the race felt crowded, was at the after party, but people didn't stay long (I guess they had food to cook or something).  They served my favorite beer (or the athletic beer as my sister says) Michelob Ultra.  Most of us gobbled up a doughnut either before or after the race except for my sister-in-law who didn't get one because the person in line in front of her got the LAST one.  I guess that has to happen to someone, but what a bummer!
My sister and brother and me
I am voting that we return to Charleston next year too and make this run a regular event!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome family tradition. I hyperventilate at the thought of anything aerobic.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?